What are Meta Tags?
Meta Tags (aka metadata ) are code snippets that determine what this page is about.
These are like building blocks of a successful SEO strategy that provide useful and additional information about a specific webpage to search engines like Google. These tags are added in the header section of the HTML code — so they are not visible on the webpage.
Why Meta Tags are Important in SEO?
For search engines like Google, user experience is the top-most priority and they rank sites that are relevant, authoritative, and trustworthy – By adding relevant information (optimizing it with relevant search queries) in meta tags, you will not only improve the visibility of a site on SERPs but also enable Google (or any other search engine) to understand whether it's relevant to a user’s specific query or not.
Moreover, there are different meta tags that define the structure of the website and tell Google crawlers how to crawl a specific page and index it.
Still, wondering why these are important for SEO?
Cutting it short - Meta Tags are a crucial aspect of an SEO strategy that is used by Google robots & crawlers to crawl, understand, index, and rank a website or a webpage. Moreover, optimized, relevant, and well-written Meta titles & descriptions also improve click-through-rate by driving highly-relevant audiences to your site.
What are different meta tags?
Here is a list of different Meta tags that will help you in improving visibility and SEO efforts.
- Title Tags
- Meta Description Tags
- Canonical Tag
- Viewport Meta Tag
- Lang Meta Tag
- Twitter Card & Open Graph Meta Tags
- Header Tags
- Robots Meta Tags
- Meta Charset Tag
How to Write Optimized Meta Title & Description for SEO?
Meta title or title tag indicates the title of a webpage on SERPs whereas Meta description is the content summary of a webpage and appears on SERPs under the title & URL of the page.
Meta Title Example:
Meta Description Example:
Optimization of Meta title & description is the most important part of the On-page SEO checklist that increases the likeliness of getting ranked on SERPs for a specific keyword/query.
Well — How to write well-optimized Meta titles & descriptions? Here are some best practices that you need to follow
Best Practices to Write Meta Title
- Create a compelling title under 55-60 character length to ensure it is displayed properly on SERPs — neither it should be shorter nor too lengthy
- Make sure to use a unique target keyword in your title (Don’t overstuff)
- Give brand recognition and put your brand name in the title by adding a separator or colon (Add in the last and not in the front)
- Write for Users but not for Google Robots
- Each page should have a specific and unique meta title
Best Practices to Write Meta Description:
- Create a unique meta description for every webpage.
- Put attention to the length – The optimal length of a meta description is between 135-160 characters.
- Write what the page is about and what users will get after clicking on your website
- Add your unique value proposition to persuade a specific audience and tell what value you are giving them.
- Make sure to include a call-to-action
- Use relevant keywords to optimize it for search intent
Apart from it, it's important to optimize your site for different meta tags like robots, canonical, viewport, OG, and Twitter Card meta tags. With some basic knowledge and experience, you can easily create meta tags.
However, with the help of ETTVI’s Meta Tags Generator, we made it easy and simple for you to create meta tags easily with only a single click.
Stay up to date in the email world.
Subscribe for weekly emails with curated articles, guides, and videos to enhance your tactics.